Monday, October 11, 2010

letterpress

IMG_4790-Edit.jpg
Ever since I first saw the opening sequence of the movie Helvetica I've wanted to get my hands on a letterpress machine.  Last thursday I finally got the chance.  To say it's an exercise in patience is somewhat of an understatement and it isn't exactly easy either.  Everything is set backwards (the above image was flipped so it could be easily read) making it difficult to catch your mistakes until after they are printed.  After learning how to set type on a computer, it seems amazing that people used to do everything this way.IMG_4767.jpg
IMG_4758.jpg
IMG_4764.jpg
IMG_4768.jpg
IMG_4771.jpg
IMG_4775.jpg
IMG_4781.jpg
IMG_4789.jpg
IMG_4793.jpg
IMG_4795.jpg

1 comment:

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

Great Post! In my day job I am a screen printer. A different animal altogether but I like history and the old tech stuff before computers came along.

kudos for grabbing that old press and keeping it serviceable. It looks to be in great shape.

-mike